2017 Canal Day
Following is the exciting schedule for this year! The vendor list will be updated regularly.
Join us in the Newport square on October 1, 2017 from 9 am to 2 pm. Our vendors are ready for a great turnout!
Details on This Year's Event
Download the poster!
9 am -- Newport High School athletes, cheerleaders and band will kick the day off with a pep rally.
9:30 am Experience the first public performance of the new PCCA Bucket Brigade. PCCA Bucket Brigade is an all-ages and all-abilities community musical group convened and led by Mark Hunsberger of the Harrisburg Symphony Orchestra and supported by funding from the Perry County Community Foundation, a part of The Foundation for Enhancing Communities.
Are you a sucker for the classic rock songs of the 60s, 70s, and 80s? Friend of Bob is a four-piece classic rock and roll cover band from the Dauphin and Perry County area that plays all your favorite classic rock songs.
Friend of Bob formed in 2011 from musicians that have been playing in the local music scene for many years, some dating back to the 70s. Their talents and experiences mesh together bringing a fun, energetic, and memorable live experience. Friend of Bob for classic rock-n-roll that's just swell.
10 am to 12 pm -- The Louise Beard Memorial and Museum, 129 North Second Street, will be open.
11:30 am -- Blessing of the Animals with The Rev. Rebecca Myers, Rector of The Episcopal Church of the Nativity and St. Stephen's. Bring your pets or a photo of your pets for a blessing! The blessing is a custom to celebrate and to remember St. Francis of Assisi and his love of animals.
12 pm -- Auction to benefit Perry County Bicentennial.
12:30 pm -- Friend of Bob sponsored by Newport Beverage.
Hourly -- Stop by the NRPS stand to fill out a chance for a free gift card! Drawings will take place every hour and you do not need to be present to win. Thank you to Weis Markets, Giant, Brother's Pizzeria, Soutner's Hallmark, Country Footware & More, Espresso Yourself Cafe, Newport Natural Foods and Sharar's Grocery for donating gift cards!
Be sure to visit the free children's activity area! There will be a bounce house, a pumpkin decorating contest, Suri Alpacas of Shiloh Farm and fun games! Thank you to the Newport Assembly of God and Carpetbagger Collectibles for sponsoring the bounce house, PinnacleHealth for sponsoring the games and Don Jacobs Insurance Services for hosting the pumpkin decorating contest!
The Newport Fire Company will be offering bucket rides for a bird's eye view of Newport!
NRPS thanks the Borough of Newport and Newport Fire Police for their assistance with Canal Day.
After Canal Day, visit the Little Buffalo Festival from 12 pm to dusk. This free festival at Little Buffalo State Park features music on three stages, arts and crafts, a children's area and writer's nook! Find all of the details here: facebook.com/LittleBuffaloFestival.
Vendors and visitors are invited to park at the following locations:
View Canal Day Parking in a larger map.
For turn by turn directions, click on the Ps in the map.
2017 Canal Day Vendors
The Canal Day map and list of vendors is available as a PDF file.
Applications are still rolling in! The following list will be updated through October 7th.
Delicious Food and Beverages
- Bread of Life Outreach (www.newportassembly.org)
- Friends on a Mission Relay for Life Team
- Hall's Ice Cream (www.hallsicecream.com)
- Hope Eternal United Methodist Women
- Incarnation United Church of Christ
- The Lifesavers Relay for Life Team
- Newport American Legion Ladies Auxiliary Post 177
- Newport High School Classes of 2018 and 2021
- Newport Lions Club
- Newport Royal Arch Chapter #238
- No Kid Hungry
- Trinity Christian Church (www.tccnb.org)
- The Winery at Hunters Valley (www.wineryathuntersvalley.com)
Crafts, Jewelry, Books and Collectibles
- Artistic Image (www.artisticimagescreenprinting.com)
- Cups for Kings and Queens (facebook.com/cupsforkingsandqueens)
- Tracy Eisenhart
- Handmade Treasures by Jean Peterson
- Historical Society of Perry County (www.hsofpc.org)
- Shirley Love
- Perry County Council of the Arts (www.perrycountyarts.org)
- Author Janet Taylor
- Wright's Riverview Crafts
Health and Fitness
- Angels on Call
- B.J. Wallace
- CPRS Physical Therapy (www.cprsweb.com)
Community Groups, Churches and Businesses
- 1st Pine Grove Church
- 98.9 WQLV (www.wqlvfm.com)
- Bath Fitter (www.bathfitterpa.com)
- Butcher's Farm Market (www.butchersfarmmarket.com)
- Don Jacobs Insurance Services (www.donjacobsinsurance.com)
- The Episcopal Church of the Nativity and St. Stephen's (www.nativityandstephen.diocpa.org)
- Farmers Insurance/Sutliff Insurance Agency (www.farmers.com)
- Giant Food Stores (www.giantfoodstores.com)
- Harleys for Heroes
- Holiday Hair Salon (www.signaturestyle.com)
- Homespire Windows and Doors (www.homespirewindows.com)
- Jacob Zentichko for Borough Council
- Kyra's Caring Critters (www.kyrascaringcritters.com)
- Kitchen Saver (www.kitchensaver.com)
- Members 1st Federal Credit Union
- Millerstown Community Pool
- Newport Cub Scouts Pack 93 (facebook/NewportPack93)
- Newport High School Football Team
- Newport Youth Soccer Association
- No Way Out Ministries (www.nowayoutfindhope.org)
- Operation Christmas Child (www.samaritanspurse.org)
- Orrstown Bank (www. orrstown.com)
- Pennian Bank (www.pennianbank.com)
- Perry County Animal Rescue (www.perrycountyanimalrescue.org)
- Perry County Chamber of Commerce (www.perrycountychamber.org)
- Perry County Republican Committee (www.perrygop.org)
- Posies, Peppers &Pastels
- Red Hill Church of God
- Scentsy (www.beflamesless.com)
- Suri Alpacas of Shiloh Farm (www.shilohsurialpacas.com)
- Tastefully Simple (www.tastefullysimple.com/kbarrick)