Canal Day 2019--Now Accepting Applications!
NRPS is accepting space reservations for Canal Day 2019, which will be held on October 5th from 9 am to 2 pm. This is a popular event that draws a large crowd from Newport and surrounding communities.
The fee for a 10' x 10' space is $25. Electricity is available on a limited basis for an additional $10. Download a PDF form or Word form and mail your request to NRPS, PO Box 13, Newport, PA 17074. Space reservation forms may also be dropped off at Carpetbagger Collectibles, 12 South 2nd Street, Newport. Call or email the contacts listed below before sending a space application.
Following is information from last year's event.
Canal Day 2018
Join us in the Newport square on October 6, 2018 from 9 am to 2 pm. Our vendors are ready for a great turnout!
Download the poster!
9 am -- Newport High School athletes, cheerleaders and band will kick the day off with a pep rally.
Are you a sucker for the classic rock songs of the 60s, 70s, and 80s? Friend of Bob is a four-piece classic rock and roll cover band from the Dauphin and Perry County area that plays all your favorite classic rock songs.
Friend of Bob formed in 2011 from musicians that have been playing in the local music scene for many years, some dating back to the 70s. Their talents and experiences mesh together bringing a fun, energetic, and memorable live experience. Friend of Bob for classic rock-n-roll that's just swell.
10 am to 12 pm -- The Louise Beard Memorial and Museum, 129 North Second Street, will be open.
11:30 am -- Blessing of the Animals with The Rev. Rebecca Myers, Rector of The Episcopal Church of the Nativity and St. Stephen's. Bring your pets or a photo of your pets for a blessing! The blessing is a custom to celebrate and to remember St. Francis of Assisi and his love of animals.
12 pm -- Auction to benefit Perry County Bicentennial.
12:30 pm -- Friend of Bob sponsored by Newport Social Order of Owls, Scaringi & Scaringi, Heller's Hardware & Rental and Sharar's Grocery.
Hourly -- Stop by the NRPS stand to fill out a chance for a free gift card! Drawings will take place every hour and you do not need to be present to win. Thank you to Bambino's Original Pizza, Bitting's, Brothers Pizzeria, Buffalo Brew, Butcher's Farm Market, Giant, Humble Stitch, The Jewel Box, Newport Family Restaurant, Newport Natural Foods, Soutner's Hallmark, Terror Farm and Weis Markets for donating gift cards!
Be sure to visit the free children's activity area! There will be a bounce house sponsored by Newport Assembly of God and Carpetbagger Collectibles.
The Newport Fire Company will be offering bucket rides for a bird's eye view of Newport!
Harleys 4 Heroes will be displaying their rides!
NRPS thanks the Borough of Newport and Newport Fire Police for their assistance with Canal Day.
After Canal Day, visit the Little Buffalo Festival from 12 pm to dusk. This free festival at Little Buffalo State Park features music on three stages, arts and crafts, a children's area and writer's nook! Find all of the details here: facebook.com/LittleBuffaloFestival.
Vendors and visitors are invited to park at the following locations:
View Canal Day Parking in a larger map.
For turn by turn directions, click on the Ps in the map.
2018 Canal Day Vendors
The Canal Day map and list of vendors is available as a PDF file.
Applications are still rolling in! The following list will be updated through October 6th.
Delicious Food and Beverages
- Bread of Life Outreach/Newport Assembly of God (www.newportassembly.org)
- The Busy Bee Bakery (www.thebusybeebakery.com)
- Friends on a Mission Relay for Life Team
- Hall's Ice Cream (www.hallsicecream.com)
- Hope Eternal United Methodist Women
- Incarnation United Church of Christ
- The Lifesavers
- Newport Cub Scouts Pack 93 (https://www.facebook.com/NewportPack93/)
- Newport American Legion Ladies Auxiliary Post 177
- Newport Lions Club
- Newport Revitalization and Preservation Society
- Newport Royal Arch Chapter #238
- No Kid Hungry
- River Bend Hop Farm & Brewery (www.riverbendhopfarmandbrewery.com)
- Shermans Valley Coffee Company (www.shermansvalleycoffee.co/)
- Tastefully Simple (www.tastefullysimple.com/web/tsommerville)
- Traveling Vineyard (www.travelingvineyards.com/guide/winewithem)
- The Winery at Hunters Valley (www.wineryathuntersvalley.com)
- Butcher's Farm Market (www.butchersfarmmarket.com)
- Newport Fire Company
- Perry County Council of the Arts (www.perrycountyarts.org)
- Perry County Hobbies
- Suri Alpacas of Shiloh Farm (www.shilohsurialpacas.com/)
Crafts, Jewelry and Collectibles
- Brewster Artworks (facebook.com/brewsterartworks)
- Crazy Faith Farm (www.crazyfaithfarm.com)
- Gems and Jewels
- A Harps Creation
- Hickory Aces Crafts
- HW Bohemian Creations (www.etsy.com/shop/hwbohemiancreations)
- Momma's Yarn Barn (www.mommasyarnbarn.com)
- Paparazzi by Kate (www,paparazziaccessories.com/211060)
- Posies, Peppers & Pastels
- Puppen Meister (www.puppenmeister.com)
Community Groups, Churches and Businesses
- 1st Pine Grove Church
- 98.9 WQLV (www.wqlvfm.com)
- Agora Cyber Charter School (www.agora.org)
- Artistic Image
- B. J. Wallace Enterprises
- Blessed Hope Bible Church (www.blessedhopebiblechurch.org)
- The Church of the Nativity (www.nativityandststephen.diocpa.org)
- Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
- CPRS Physical Therapy (www.cprsweb.com)
- Disabled American Veterans Chapter 49 (www.davmembersportal.org/chapters/pa/49)
- Dream Vacations
- Family Fun Novelties
- Friends of Karen Anderson (www.karenandersonforpa.com)
- Giant Food Stores (www.giantfoodstores.com/)
- Hamilton Health Center of Perry County
- Harleys 4 Heroes
- Historical Society of Perry County
- Holiday Hair Salon (www.signaturestyle.com)
- Members 1st Federal Credit Union (www.members1st.org)
- Millerstown Community Pool
- Newport Ambulance League
- Newport High School Football Team
- Newport Youth Soccer Association
- Operation Christmas Child (www.samaritanspurse.org/what-we-do/operation-christmas-child/)
- Orrstown Bank (www.orrstown.com)
- Pennian Bank (www.pennianbank.com)
- Perry County Animal Rescue (www.perrycountyanimalrescue.org)
- Perry County Chamber of Commerce (www.perrycountychamber.org)
- Perry County Democrats (www.perrycountydems.com)
- Perry County Republican Committee (www.perrygop.org)
- Premier at Perry Village (www.premierperry.com)
- Red Hill Church of God
- Scentsy (www.beflameless.com)
- Senator John DiSanto (www.senatordisanto.com)
- Sunrun (www.gosunrun.com/justindashiell)
- US Health Advisors (www.healthinsurancetrapp.com)