History of Newport

Indians were the first inhabitants of this region, settling along the Big Buffalo and Little Buffalo creeks where game and fish were abundant. Tribes included the Delawares, Monseys, Shawnees and, most likely, the Tuscaroras. In 1754, the Indians sold a portion of this land to the English, and it became property of Thomas and John Penn. At this time, the first white settlers began moving in, and by 1758, the Indians were ordered by the English to leave. After patenting tracts in 1774 and 1775, David English was in possession of two plots of land: Grenada, the Newport tract; and Antigua, the plot immediately north. The land past through the English family to the Reider family.

In 1804, Paul, John, and Daniel Reider plotted the land into 54 lots with streets and alley. The foundation of the town extended from Mulberry Street to Oliver Street and from the Juniata River to Second Street. This promising town was known as Reider's Ferry, later referred to as Reidersville.

The early economic growth of Newport was determined mainly from its location on the Juniata River. A ferry was established by the Reiders in the late 1700s. During the early era, freight was transported on rafts on the river. Rafts gave way to arks and keels, which were poled back up the river, and boat building became a significant business for the young community.

Ground was broken for the canal on July 4, 1826 in Harrisburg, and in 1829, the Juniata branch, which flowed through Newport, was opened, greatly increasing Newport's position as a hub for water freight transportation. After the opening of the canal, the town officially became known as Newport. During this bustling time, Newport was home to warehouses, hotels, a photography gallery, a milliner, a tannery, and many other businesses. In fact, according to H. H. Hain, "Newport was the leading business town in Perry County, owing to its central location and shipping facilities."

In 1840, Newport was incorporated as a borough with Sam Leiby being the first burgess and by 1846 the village had grown into a town of 100 homes. When the Pennsylvania Railroad completed rail service to the town in 1849, the foundation for the tremendous growth in the late 1800s was laid. During the early railroad era, Newport was a railroad hub.

Grain, lumber, leather and textiles produced in the surrounding communities were shipped via the trains passing through Newport. It was during this period that most of the major buildings were erected on the square to house the retail outlets and businesses necessary to support mill owners, workers, and the agricultural community. At the same time, lovely residences reflecting varied architectural styles were constructed.

The town is surrounded by magnificent natural beauty: lush valleys; farmland owned by families for generations; the spectacular Tuscarora mountain range; and the lovely meandering Juniata River.

For more information on the early history of Newport, the History of Perry County, Pennsylvania by H. H. Hain is available at Google Books.

Curious about the canals in Perry County? Towpaths and Aqueducts--The Canals of Perry County details the rich history of the Pennsylvania Canals. Author Dennis J. Hocker, Ph.D. selected NRPS as the beneficiary of sales by donating $10 per book to this organization. Find out more about this title and other books by Dennis at www.perryheritage.com/aqueducts.html